To call last weekend a bad one for American soccer plays in Europe would be an understatement.
Fulham lost again, as did Reading. Michael Bradley’s Heerenveen blew a late lead and fell to sixth place in the Eredivisie after being in second place two weeks ago. Oguchi Onyewu’s Standard Liege dropped points to KAA Gent and fell into second place in the process. Then there was Steve Cherundolo, who scored an own goal in Hannover 96′s 2-1 loss to Bochum on Friday.
It really was a weekend to forget, but for those of you who still want to know how all the Americans in Europe’s top flight did this weekend, here is the rundown:
Tim Howard and Everton face Manchester City on Monday
Brian McBride started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 1-0 loss to West Ham United on Saturday.
Clint Dempsey started and played 76 minutes for Fulham.
Eddie Johnson came on as a substitute and played 14 minutes for Fulham.
Carlos Bocanegra dressed but did not play for Fulham.
Kasey Keller dressed but did not play for Fulham.
Jonathan Spector came off the bench and played one minute for West Ham.
Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made nine saves in Blackburn’s 4-1 win against Bolton on Sunday.
Eddie Lewis dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 2-0 loss to Wigan on Saturday.
Benny Feilhaber did not dress for Derby County.
Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made 11 saves in Reading’s 2-1 loss to Aston Villa on Sunday.
Jay DeMerit came off the bench and played nine minutes in Watford’s 0-0 tie vs. Preston on Saturday.
Matt Pickens dressed but did not play in Queens Park Rangers’ 1-1 tie vs. Sheffield United on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo started, played 90 minutes and scored an own goal in Hannover 96′s 2-1 loss to VFL Bochum on Friday.
- Sal Zizzo dressed but did not play for Hannover 96.
- Bryan Arguez did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 0-0 tie against VFL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- Josh Wolff came off the bench and played 13 minutes in 1860 Munich’s 0-0 tie vs. FC Cologne on Friday.
- Gregg Berhalter missed the match for 1860 Munich due to red card suspension.
- Neven Subotic started and played 90 minutes in Mainz 05′s 2-2 tie vs. FC Carl Zeiss Jena on Friday.
- Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern faces TUS Koblenz on Monday.
- Josh Grenier and TUS Koblenz faces Kaiserslautern on Monday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in Heerenveen’s 3-2 loss to NEC Nijmegen on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela dressed but did not play in Brescia’s 2-0 win against Bologna on Sunday.
- Giuseppe Rossi missed Villarreal’s 2-1 win vs. Athletic Bilbao on Sunday with an ankle injury.
- Andrew Jacobson did not dress in Lorient’s 2-0 loss to Rennes on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg did not dress in FC Troyes 1-0 win vs. Stade de Reims on Friday.
- Freddy Adu came off the bench and played nine minutes in Benfica’s 1-1 tie against Braga on Sunday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege’s 0-0 tie vs. KAA Gent on Saturday.
- Clint Mathis came off the bench and played 18 minutes in Ergotelis’ 2-1 loss to Panionios on Sunday.