It was a landmark weekend for Americans in Europe. From Brad Friedel record-breaking performance to Jozy Altidore's impressive start for Villarreal, several Americans Abroad enjoyed success across Europe.
Friedel set a new record for consecutive matches played, with 167 in a row in the English Premier League. Clint Dempsey made it tough on his countrymen by testing Friedel with a pair of quality shots in an inspired performance that should keep him in the Fulham starting lineup for the forseeable future.
Altidore earned a rare start for Villarreal and proved a handful for Recreativo Huelva in a 2-1 victory. Sal Zizzo didn't play for Hannover 96, but did make the subs bench for one of the few times this season. Matt Taylor continued his impressive first season in Germany's second division by scoring another goal for TUS Koblenz.
Not all the news was good for Americans this past weekend. Michael Bradley notched an own goal in a Borussia Moenchengladbach loss while Freddy Adu, Danny Szetela, Maurice Edu, Eddie Johnson and Heath Pearce failed to play.
Here is a rundown of how Americans Abroad did this past weekend:
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa's 0-0 tie vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes, drew a yellow card and forced both of Friedel's saves for Fulham.
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton's 1-0 win vs. Tottenham on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector and West Ham face Liverpool on Monday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford's 1-1 tie vs. Doncaster on Saturday.
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Sheffield Wednesday's 3-2 win vs. Norwich on Saturday.
- Eddie!Johnson did not dress in Cardiff City's 2-2 tie vs. Swansea City on Sunday.
- Marcus Hahnemann, Bobby Convey and Reading face Coventry on Monday.
- Maurice Edu dressed but did not play in Rangers' 2-1 loss to Hearts on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Rangers.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 45 minutes in Hannover 96's 3-2 win Karlsruhe on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo dressed but did not play for Hannover 96.
- Michael Bradley started,played 69 minutes and scored an own goal in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 3-1 loss to Energie Cottbus on Saturday.
- Neven Subotic started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Dortmund's 0-0 tie vs. VfL Wolfsberg on Sunday.
- Matt Taylor started, played 90 minutes and scored a goal in TUS Koblenz's 4-1 win vs. Ahlen on Saturday.
- David Yelldell started, played 90 minutes and made one save for TUS Koblenz.
- Grover Gibson started and played 45 minutes for Ahlen.
- Gregg Berhalter started and played 90 minutes in 1860 Munich's 3-3 tie vs. SV Wehen on Sunday.
- Heath Pearce did not dress in Hansa Rostock's 2-0 loss to FC Augsburg on Sunday.
- Luis Robles started, played 90 minutes and made no saves in Kaiserslautern's 1-1 tie vs. Alemania Aachen on Friday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 77 minutes in Villarreal's 2-1 win vs. Recreativo Huelva on Sunday.
- Danny Szetela dressed but did not play in Brescia's 2-0 win vs. Mantova on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 90 minutes in Rennes' 1-0 win vs. Paris St. Germain on Sunday.
- Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in Monaco's 1-0 win vs. Auxerre on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Troyes' 1-0 win vs. Stade de Reims on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege's 0-0 tie vs. KV Mechelen on Sunday.
- Jeremiah White, Benny Feilhaber and AGF Aarhus face Odense BK on Monday.
- Danny Califf started and played 90 minutes in FC Midtjylland's 3-0 win vs. FC Nordsjaelland on Sunday..
- Lee Nguyen did not play in Randers' 2-2 vs. Ejsberg on Sunday.
- Tally Hall dressed did not play for Ejsberg.
- Preston Zimmerman started and played 90 minutes in Kapfenberg SV's 2-1 loss to Austria Vienna on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco dressed but did not play in San Luis' 2-1 loss to Santos Laguna on Saturday. The loss eliminated San Luis from the Mexican Apertura playoffs.
American-born Players Playing for Other Countries
- Giuseppe Rossi (Italy) started and played 89 minutes in Villarreal's 2-1 win vs. Recreativo Huelva on Sunday.
- Edgar Castillo (Mexico) started and played 90 minutes in Santos Laguna's 2-1 win vs. San Luis on Saturday.
- Brede Hangeland (Norway) started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 0-0 tie vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Boaz Myhill (Wales) started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Hull City's 1-1 tie vs. Stoke on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Were you impressed with Jozy Altidore's start? Did Clint Dempsey's performance make you start thinking about what he could do during next year's busy U.S. national team schedule? Having visions of an Altidore-Dempsey strike force at Confederations Cup? Are you starting to wonder if you will see Freddy Adu get any significant playing time for Monaco this year?
Share your thoughts below.