Cooper sold to 1860 Munich

Kenny Cooper 3 (ISIphotos.com)

Kenny Cooper is on his way back to Europe.

The former Manchester United reserve player has been sold by FC Dallas to German Bundesliga II club 1860 Munich. FC Dallas informed season ticket holders of the sale on Friday.

Cooper, 24, is coming off a Gold Cup that saw him score two goals for the U.S. national team and earn a place on the All-Gold Cup team. He scored 40 goals in 93 appearances for FC Dallas over the course of three and a half seasons.

Cooper had been linked with various British clubs in recent years, but FC Dallas turned down previous attempts to secure his services. With the current season all but over, and Cooper's contract set to expire after the 2010 season, FC Dallas decided to cash in, which will give the club more resources to work with in the winter as it looks to rebuild.

Is Bundesliga 2 a good fit for Cooper and a good landing spot for a player with aspirations of bigger things?

It's tough to say. If you look at the list of American players to play for 1860 Munich (Taylor Twellman, Josh Wolff, Gregg Berhalter, Steve Purdy), none of those players made a move upward. In fact, all four players wound up going to MLS after being with 1860.

Does that mean the same will happen to Cooper? Not necessarily, but he will be the exception to the rule of he does progress to a bigger league.

What do you think of Cooper going to 1860 Munich? Disappointed he's not going to a First Division club in Europe? Happy to see him move on? Think Germany is a good fit for him?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, MLS- FC Dallas, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to Cooper sold to 1860 Munich

1. TJPierce says:

Good! Go score some goals in Germany, Cooper!

2. brad says:

hell yeah coops!!!

3. Timmy U says:

Wow. I had heard the championship was the most likely. But 1860 is a good club. Hope he sees the pitch.

4. Danny says:

ANy details on the transfer fee? How much will FCD see? What does that team do now?

5. patrick says:

good to hear another player going to abroad, its almost ALWAYS a good thing. I’m actually glad he went to a bundesliga II side, he will have a much more legitimate shot at playing, and starting than he would at a bigger club. Also, hopefully he can learn how to be a bit more physical over there.

6. zico says:

Does this mean that Dallas might have even fewer people in the stands now? :) Good for Cooper, this guy has tremendous potential.

7. nate says:

Selfishly wanted to see him in England, but glad he on to a bigger stage. I think he’s up to the challenge.

8. Drew_ROC says:

So Cooper is now in the same boat as Conor Casey. A decent player for a marginal Euro team that can perform well in MLS when motivated.

9. joe k says:

is fc dallas going to move to another city?

10. Turd Meuller says:

I really thought he would go to a first division club in Europe but if he is going to get the chance to play every match than thats good! Any idea on the transfer fee Ives?

11. Joe says:

who would have them?

12. Mentz says:

Do we know how much it was for? Surprising 1860 dished out to MLS, unless they lowered their cost…

13. HokieFutbol says:

I think this is a good move. Germany and England seem to be the more physical leagues, and one of the knocks on Cooper has always been his inability to use his size. Maybe he’ll learn something…and maybe he’ll stop shooting from 40 yards.

14. Igor says:

Sounds like he will likely start for 1860.

15. CapeCodFutbol says:

Ridiculous that he was selected to the All-Gold Cup team.

That aside, good for him I hope that he plays and tears up the league. Maybe he will even develop a better sense of when to shoot. (Like, not ALL the time).

16. Barry U says:

I think this is a good move for him. From watching some of the Budesliga games he looks like a player that will fit in with their style of play. He is big and strong but also technical. He is still relatively young so a couple of years fighting to get into the Bundesliga will make him better. If he does well the 1st division guys will take notice for sure and moving up that laddder will be a good thing. Germany is a good league and I think our players should go to these types of places more often. If Matt Taylor socred goals in 2 Bundesliga Kenny can also.

By the way if Matt Taylor keeps playing well should he get a look after the WC2010? He is a striker and we need those. If I am not mistaken he scored like 7 goals in 13 appreances in the 2 Bundesliga last year.

17. Optimist Primer says:

You know a good way to make the National Team in the lead up to a World Cup?

Go ballistic this season, leading your team in scoring en route to promotion to the Bundesliga.

Good luck Kenny! Go get ‘em big man.

18. fenel says:

I wished he went to England.

19. Josh says:

Cooper is technically skilled, w/a great first touch by MLS standards, but he is just sooooooooooooooooo slow. He’s not gonna get any faster, so he needs to learn to use the one advantage he’s got that can’t be taught: his height.

I hope his German coach flat-out says, “Kenny, you won’t see the pitch unless you start playing like you’re 6’3.”

I hope this move works out for Cooper. He’s not going to get any better in MLS, and it’s a shame if someone with his combination of height and touch doesn’t maximize his potential. Bundesliga II is probably the right level for him to work on redefining his game before (hopefully) stepping up to a better league, in Germany or elsewhere.

20. Blokhin says:

it’s sad to see the arguably 4th best forward in the USMNT pool go to a second division team in Germany… we need to develop some depth from guys playing in top leagues…

21. Gregg says:

Bleh, he’ll languish like all of the rest in the Bundesliga “2″ land and make more money but never move to a bigger stage. He’ll be back in MLS in 5-6 years like Twellmana and Wolfe. This does nothing for me.

22. oscar_in_fw says:

Good move for KC. He wasn’t getting any better playing for a marginal coach with a long-term contract.

Hopefully, he’ll learn to stay on his feet regardless of the “nudges” and become a prolific goal scorer at 1860.

23. Berlin says:

I bet the City of Dallas would take FC Frisco.

24. Rebecca says:

is fc dallas going to move to another city?

Posted by: joe k | July 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Atlanta, please! :)

It’ll be interesting to see how much 1860 paid for him, considering that was a big factor in why FCD didn’t want to sell him last season. Good news for Cooper and the USMNT, terrible news for Dallas.

25. BFBS says:

Based on the admittedly small sample of a couple of games (both involving Heath Pearce at Hansa), Bundesliga 2 is as similar to MLS as any league I’ve seen. The one difference though is that it has that “nastiness” element (as in, sportsmanship be damned) that MLS is generally missing. Oh wait, that’s exactly what we’ve been berating Cooper for lacking.

26. Rossi is Judas says:

Transfer fee is reportedly just over $1 million. This move will either be sink or swim. Best of luck to him.

27. Jones says:

I think 1860 and Germany are a good fit for him. So what if he never makes it to the first division, 1860 is like 5 divisions above FC Dallas and MLS, so he just did move up. Also, with this move he has a much better shot at the first division than straight from MLS, all he has to do is strut his stuff. Congrats and good luck.

FYI was not insulting the MLS, the 2nd division in Germany is a much older and much stronger league and is a huge step up for cooper who will only get better there.

28. cjbrown says:

don’t know why everyone is down on 1860. So they are in 2.Bundesliga — they still are a big club, second biggest in Munich to FC Hollywood, and they can move up.

As for comparisons to other Amis who were at 1860:

* Berhalter and Wolff were toward the end of their careers, and Wolff had suffered major injuries, making him a shadow of what he once was. At least they played quite a lot and made bank, even if it wasn’t a “launching pad.”

* Twellman went there very young, and he was there when they were in the first division. Even he now says he was not ready for it and should have begun at a smaller club but went for a little more dough and a little more prestige.

* Purdy — who cares?

Other Amis have done well in the 2.Bundesliga. Cherundolo helped Hanover up and has been there since, very happily. Casey also helped them up with a lot of goals and injuries were what hurt him.

29. Orr112 says:

Wow, I didn’t realize Cooper is only 24 years old – I hope this move works out for him.

30. EA says:

So, when are the open tryouts for FC Dallas?

I’m 32, short, and slow, and my feet are shot, but I’m really creative on the ball.

I think I’ve got a shot.

Look at them. No wonder they can’t get butts in the seats there.

31. Cooper will be fine. He just needs to set some personal goals.

1. Get on the 1st Team

2. Score -10 goals and 5 assists – season 1

3. Score – 20 goals and 10 assists – season 2

4. Transfer to bigger club in season 3

If he achieves step 3 sooner, step 4 will come sooner too.

Since he has already lived and played in England. Adjusting to life in Europe should not be a problem for him.

32. Caasi says:

FC Dallas is either rebuilding, moving, or about to be sold.

This is tragic.

33. Colin says:

FC Dallas won’t move… they just got a new stadium a few years ago…

34. Ian says:

That picture of Cooper makes it look like he’s standing in front of an execution firing squad. All he needs is a cigarette.

35. Robert says:

As long as he gets to play… Bundesliga 2 is higher quality than most MLS teams, especially FC Dallas. 10 goals this season would be great for the man. Further, it should help him get a supersub spot in 2010.

36. BlueWhiteLion says:

I love 1860, but whoever said they are “5 divisions above MLS” is off his rocker.

1860 is a good club with history and a deep Munich fanbase. Their main problem has been financial stupidity.

PS. I am a 5th American who played for them. (But, alas, I was 15, in the 70′s, they have no record of those years now, and I certainly didn’t move up.

I wish Kenny well there, and Munich is a great city.

37. goalscorer24 says:

It always comes down to the same issue, I hope he gets playing time. If so, it is a good move.

38. DC Josh says:

Sad emotions: another quality player leaving the MLS :((((((((((

Happy emotions: another US player moving on to bigger and better things :))))))))))))

His scoring record is ridiculous. I wish the best for him.

Ives, when does he move over there? You never said.

39. Aquaman says:

I think if you’re going to be in the Bundesliga 2, you might as well be on a team that has a history of first division football. Hopefully this will give him a chance to grow and hopefully no Germans will cleat him in the stomach.

40. Reid says:

If FCdallas aren’t going to move their franchise, can they look into renting those really big choppers and try to move the stadium atleast.

41. ThaDeuce says:

Wow, I just thought of something. We probably have the most first team USMNT players playing in the first division of Europe ever:
    Clint Dempsey, Fulham, Premier League
    Jonathon Spector, West Ham, Premier League
    Tim Howard, Everton, Premier League
    Oguchi Onyewu,,A.C., Serie A
    Ricardo Clark, Livorno, Serie A
    Carlos Bocanegra, Stade Rennais, Ligue 1
    Charlie Davies, Sochaux, Ligue 1
    Michael Bradley, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Bundesliga
    Jozy Altidore, Villareal, La Liga

That is 9 USMNT starters playing in the first division in Europe. Wow.

All that is missing from our Starting XI is Landon Donovan, who is sure to go to the first division very, very soon, and Jay Demerit, Watford, Championship.

WOW, Last year I wouldn’t have considered this possible.

42. Marc says:

With MLS owning all of the player contracts, Dallas will only get a porition of the transfer fee….somewhere in the neighborhood of $400K as the fee is said to ahve bene for just a bit over $1M.

Not sure this is such a great move, but then again if there were no top teams coming in after him you take what you can get. A chance for him to prove his worth and attract the attention of a bigger club. Which won’t be easy as bigger clubs in Europe don’t usually go after guys in lower divisions unless they are something special.

43. DC Josh says:

ThaDuece, don’t forget about Cherundolo.

It will be even better as younger players are scooped up out of college and high school.

THEN we will know our youth system is making progress.

44. Andy says:

I don’t know if this is a good move or not. I’m not so sure that MLS is a less quality league than Bundesliga 1. I watch a lot of German soccer (my wife’s family is from Rostock) and really apart from FC Bayern and a few lucky streaks from Schalke and Stuttgart, the level of play isn’t really that spectacular. I guess that at least if 1860 Munich can manage to get themselves out of the second division he would have more of an opportunity to play against some bigger talent.

45. ThaDeuce says:

Make that 9 starters and 1 bench player for the USMNT playing in the first division of Europe. GO NATS!

Wow, we are super deep at right back. Don’t efff with our first team right backs Mexico. I hope you didn’t get too used to Jay Heaps.
    lol

46. Keith G. says:

I think it is a good move, and I hope that he can get the team up into the first division. It will be a big lose for FC Dallas and the MLS, but if he plays every day it should improve his game, which will only help our national team. As a Bayern fan, I would have loved to see him go there but, I know there is no room for him at Bayern.

Good Luck Copper.

47. ThaDeuce says:

and I guess as of right now you could say EJ is a sub for Fulham and a possible sub for the USMNT. so really that is 11 players who are signed with Division 1 clubs in Europe. Not too shabby for the United States. Not too shabby at all.

48. ThaDeuce says:

Plus: “USsoccerNewsKicker reports that future USA international Jermaine Jones could be healthy & playing games at the end of August. Ahead of schedule.”
    28 minutes ago from web from Twitter

49. LEGOLASTT2002 says:

Americans on the move. More of our young players getting looked at by some decent European clubs. And even some of our average players are getting their chances in 3rd tier Euro leagues like Scandinavia/Belgium. We’re coming along. In a decade we’ll be even better.

50. LEGOLASTT2002 says:

Can you imagine in a decade? Dozens and dozens, maybe hundreds of young American talent plying their trade abroad in Europe. Maybe not in the top leagues, but surely the Netherlands, France, 2nd Bundesliga, Scandinavia. We will be deep in talent. Just gotta be patient.

51. PeterGriffinvsHomerSimpson says:

Cooper will be a star for them. A good club with great history. But it’s struggling in the Bundesliga and looking for a MLS star to help them. If he can grab at least 10goals a season, he’s doing well.

But this is his ticket to the World Cup

52. JohnC says:

MLS cant allow FC Dallas to move. Dallas shelled out the dough for a new stadium and by moving them MLS would set a precedence for other cash strapped cities to use against building a soccer specific stadium. I think FC Dallas moves only when the league reaches say 22 teams and expansion doesn’t make sense anymore but relocation does.

For Bud. 2- probably on average it is better than MLS but def. not 5 times. Our top players could easily play over there and our four best teams would probably finish middle of the pack. What separates us from Bud. 2, Mexico, SPL. etc. is all MLS teams lack depth where these leagues typically have a roster full of talent where we have 15 guys with talent and 5 or 6 guys just scraping by.

53. PeterGriffinvsHomerSimpson says:

Hopefully within the next 5 years, every team in MLS will have their own stadium.

54. jpc says:

Cooper should be a very good player; However, he is one of the biggest ballhogs I’ve ever seen play professionally. Even being a forward doesn’t justify only passing as a last resort…

The fact that he is so highly regarded, despite his greedy tendancies on the field, is a testament to the type of talent that he has…

I really hope that the Germans can get it through his head that he is not playing the game the way he should. If he changes his mental approach, he could be nasty

55. Matt says:

Good for him. Cooper didn’t complain when his transfer request to England and Denmark was refused last year. Considering that he would have seen about a 1000% increase in pay, that is astounding.

Compare that to Basketball or Baseball players who claim to be “insulted” when their current team only offers them $12 Mill per year for four years while another offer $15 Mill per year for five years.

Hope is works out for him. I think he’s first division talent but we’ll see where he goes from there.

Not sure what happened to Dallas. A year or two ago, people were talking about their incredible depth and ability to pluck young players from the national team.

56. PeterGriffinvsHomerSimpson says:

I pray Davies, Altidore, Cooper, EJ score a hell of a lot of goals this season.

57. Ewe RS Tupid says:

is fc dallas going to move to another city?

Posted by: joe k | July 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I heard that New York is looking for a soccer team. Pretty big city without any team except an amateur pub team.

58. Jorge says:

Good for KC. Happy for him. It will help him develop as a player.

59. sublicon says:

People always say the same crap every time some American player goes somewhere…”Gee, I would’ve liked to see him in England.” “Gee, I would’ve liked to see him in Spain.” “Gee, I would’ve liked to see him in Germany.”

Tell us WHY…WHY do you wish that? Because it’s the only league you watch on television? Why is one a better move than the other? Explain yourselves. “Because it’s a more prestigious league” isn’t a good answer.

Typically, I get annoyed by these statements, especially when it concerns an “okay” player who moves to Denmark or Sweden or something, players who didn’t have a chance moving anywhere else.

As far as Cooper is concerned, and given 1860′s history with American players, I think this is a lazy ass move. I hope he’s getting paid well, that’s all I’ll say. I hope 1860 isn’t going to chew him up and spit him out the way they did with the others. If none of those things happen, then I think it’s a good move. If they do and he comes back, it’s a bust.

Cooper is too good a player to go that route. I mean, take a look at EJ…he has the chance to redeem himself this season if Hodgson hangs on to him, but I think more highly of Cooper than I do EJ at the moment. That could change, but…I guess we’ll see.

60. Jorge says:

@ThaDeuce,

Actually, they interviewed Gulati a couple of days ago and he said that Jones and Castillo will be ready for selection until October ( or something like that). Let me find the interview.

61. Tomasz says:

“I don’t know if this is a good move or not. I’m not so sure that MLS is a less quality league than Bundesliga 1. I watch a lot of German soccer (my wife’s family is from Rostock) and really apart from FC Bayern and a few lucky streaks from Schalke and Stuttgart, the level of play isn’t really that spectacular.”

Andy,

generally speaking, the way Germans and Americans play soccer is indeed similar as IMO the mentalities of Germans and Americans are similar – and that is reflected in the style of play. But I think you are slightly underrating the Bundesliga which is just about to get a 4th CL spot from Serie A. Werder has beaten Inter in the CL and kicked out AC Milan/Udinese to reach the Uefa Cup final last year and only finished 10th in the league. Hamburg threw Manchester City and Galatasaray out of the same competition. Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim have played some spectacular football in the Bundesliga last season.

62. Felix says:

Its obvious that he needed to move, I think MLS developed him as much as they could. I don’t know if 1860 Munich is the greatest spot for him, even though Germany is a good fit for him in terms of playing style (living in Munich isn’t bad either). Hopefully he PLAYS and develops further.

63. Toumba says:

@Sublicon

Great point about the snobbery that follows the EPL, La Liga and the Bundesliga. Most people are not ready to realize that the tops teams from those leagues generally do not develop talent….they buy it.

By someone claiming that they wish a young player would go to the EPL (such as Freddy or Jozy) would suggest that they are a finished product or close to it. Which is not the case with either example. So that big league, big team move is just wishful thinking that the player has arrived and is ready for the big time.

Meanwhile the rest of Europe and its coaches do all the development work only to lose that player once the big boys pull out the wallet.

Landon is the only American player at this point left in the MLS that requires a big league move. The rest would be well served to play in Belgium, Holland, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Russia or Turkey.

Plus I don’t like that the feeling is that if you need to learn technique, go to Spain. Toughness, go to England. (Is someone going to try to tell me Arsenal is a tough team and not a finesse one?) etc etc… All leagues have tough teams and all leagues have technical ones. It depends on what the coach is building. If this weren’t true, then every player that needed to get tough would just need to go to Scotland and basically play Rugby on a soccer field.

The regional differences that I see have more to do with attitude. Spain likes attacking soccer. England likes effort. Holland likes total football. Italy appreciates results. (pretty or ugly) Brazil wants everything to look like a dance. Germany wants an efficient team.

Each will teach you what foot to use and when as well as ask you to tackle man and ball.

64. Andy says:

I don’t want to undersell the Bundesliga nor am I one of those, “MLS can compete with the top leagues in Europe!” kind of guys. However, I’m fairly certain there are a handfull of teams in MLS who could go head to head with a team like Wolfburg. I agree, German teams do fairly well in Europe (although there is a huge difference between the quality in the Champion’s League and the UEFA Cup…at least once it starts getting down to the knock out rounds). The major difference between a Bundesliga club and a MLS club is the type of competition that club gets on a regular basis. That and money.

That being said, I don’t mean to make it sound like any club in MLS could compete in the Bundesliga, though I’m sure there are some clubs even in Bundesliga 1 who would struggle in MLS (like I said, my wife’s family is from Rostock….the way FC Hansa played 2 years ago, I know this is fact!) They just wouldn’t get relegated hah!

I do find it a bit odd that Serie A is losing their 4th spot to the Bundesliga. The Germans haven’t done much in the Champion’s League over the past few years. I can’t see 4 German clubs really being that effective. We shall see. I always have a secret yearning to see the Germans succeed in the CL.

65. MensreaJim says:

I think this is great. I have never thought he was the answer for the MNT but if he can work his way into Casey’s spot that’s great, and I’m glad for him to get paid. Best case scenario–lighting it up in a promotion season–is very likely; that’s all can you ask for in a new opportunity.

66. georg says:

As a huge 1860 fan, I just became a fan of Kenny Cooper. Lets hope he can perform in Munich and help my boys move up to the Bundesliga. Overall I think this is a great move for Cooper and for 1860.

67. Mentz says:

If you consistently watch both the Bundesliga and Serie A you can see the difference. Obviously the style of play is much different, but what seperates on from the other is that Italy has a couple mega teams while Germany only has Bayern as a super team.

That said, the average Bundesliga team would beat the average Serie A team. From top to bottom you have a competitive league where in Italy you can see some really poor teams getting shat on week-in, week-out.

I’ll take German football if you give me a choice…

68. Tomasz says:

Andy,

The Uefa-Cup and not the CL is the key. A victory in the Uefa Cup counts as much as a victory in the CL. It sounds strange but that’s the way the Uefa coefficient, which determines the CL spots, works. And the PL surpassed the Bundesliga in 2000/01, the year Bayern won the CL, because of its results in the Uefa Cup. The next season Leverkusen reached the CL final but the German TV contract went bust with severe impact on German clubs, but as a consequence of the World Cup, new stadiums and massive sponsorship deals, the Bundesliga has caught up recently and is – in financial terms – in a better state than Serie A.

69. jimmygreaves says:

“Drew ROC: Cooper is also like Conor Casey in that their top-end speed is pretty negligible.

I hope this move works out for Cooper. He’s not going to get any better in MLS, and it’s a shame if someone with his combination of height and touch doesn’t maximize his potential. Josh”

____________________________________________

HokieFutbol, CapeCodFutbol, Josh,

I think you are missing the point about his height and size. Other than the fact they keep people from pushing him around so easily (see Freddy Adu) they are more or less irrelevant to his game. Whatever the physical attributes, the man is what the English call a goal poacher. He is fearless, has a good first touch, seems to be able to get his shots more or less on target, appears always be looking to shoot no matter how slim the chances are. If he was an NBA player you would say he shoots with no conscience. If you think he shoots too much, well that is what goal poachers are supposed to do. They are all “selfish”.

Guys like him hang around in front of goal and get some part of their body on the half to quarter chances. He gets to the awkward balls that come in at odd angles; usually somewhere between your shoulder and your knees where you don’t know whether you should head or volley the ball.

The template for him would be Giorgio Chinaglia of Lazio, Italy and the late, lamented Cosmos. Anyone who scores at the rate he does is worth a look but coaches tend to distrust players like him because, usually, they only score goals and most coaches, like you guys, expect more from someone that looks like him. If the Germans did what you say they should, they would be missing the point. There is no other US forward like him in the player pool at the moment but I don’t see him becoming a regular starter under Bradley’s current system. Cooper is something of a luxury in a system that asks him to do things he is not really good at. So, second half sub when you need a goal is his role for now and the foreseeable future.

70. oscar_in_fw says:

FC Dallas is a misnomer, they should change the name to FC Frisco. It was Frisco which shelled out money for the new “Soccer-specific” stadium which usually turns out to have Pointyball style line markings in the Fall…… Unfortunately, when they moved from the Cotton Bowl, they forgot to take the majority of the Dallas fans with them. And the FO has done a horrible job of marketing the team to the Friscans and other nearby folks.

71. Andy says:

“More knowledgeable posters, how would you compare B2 to the Scandinavian leagues?”

Man I can barely keep up w/ the leagues I do follow! I know absolutely nothing about the Scandinavian leagues other than it seems they like to get their mits on a lot of Americans. I’m curious to see an answer to this question as well!

“the average Bundesliga team would beat the average Serie A team. From top to bottom you have a competitive league where in Italy you can see some really poor teams getting shat on week-in, week-out.

I’ll take German football if you give me a choice…”

Oh I agree completely. Its what I love about the Bundesliga. The lack of super teams makes it wonderful. Don’t get me wrong, I love the EPL, but I love the fact that a team like Wolfsburg can come up and win the league.

“The Uefa-Cup and not the CL is the key. A victory in the Uefa Cup counts as much as a victory in the CL. It sounds strange but that’s the way the Uefa coefficient, which determines the CL spots, works.”

Yeah I don’t get it…but whatever. Any insight as to why UEFA puts so much stock into winning the UEFA Cup?

72. Andy says:

PS-”the Bundesliga has caught up recently and is – in financial terms – in a better state than Serie A.”

Not to mention, I think its a better attended league. You don’t usually see the empty seats in a Bundesliga game like you do in Serie A.

73. Tomasz says:

Mentz,

I don’t see it any different. Although, I would say that Bayern – in financial terms again – has become bigger than the Italian mega clubs (although Inter is probably the exception thereof)

74. Jorge says:

Speaking of players, here is Barca interview and some thoughts on Landon.

link to tinyurl.com

75. Tomasz says:

Andy,

When Hamburg wins against Danish minnows Randers in the 4th qualification round of the Uefa Cup it counts as much as Bremen winning against Inter Milan in the group stage of the CL. There are a variety of possible reasons. One of them might be that if the results in the Uefa cup counted less than the results in the CL, the status quo would never change. And keep in mind that the Uefa consists of 50 members and only a few of them get the chance to play in the CL…Some leagues won’t have any representatives left in European club competitions when the European top clubs have not yet participated. And don’t forget that on the other hand bigger leagues get numerous advantages over smaller ones. It is a very complicated mechanism (I think there are only a handful of fans here in Europe who understand it).

But it is probably the best possible system despite its flaws. The recent ascendancy of the Russian league wouldn’t have been possible without it, either. The Portuguese league has shown better results in the CL as well, but can anyone really say, they didn’t deserve it. The Russian league looks relatively strong despite not achieving much in the CL…

76. Andy says:

I enjoy the Russian league. Its a really fast paced game. Setanta’s been showing the Russian Premiership. Apart from only knowing a few players, not being able to read the Russian alphabet, and only ever hearing of 3 or 4 clubs, I’ve been enjoying the level of play.

I actually don’t have many complaints about UEFA, I just thought it might have been a bit naive of me to think they would try to level the playing field a bit for smaller clubs. You seem to back this idea though. Its a good point about UEFA being a 50 member confederation.

77. Tomasz says:

Andy,

yes I also enjoy the Russian PL (and I am into other Eastern European leagues as well – although none of them reaches the quality of the Russian league).

And I am backing the Uefa coefficient indeed. Everyone who hears of it finds it absurd at first, but you have to remember that it is in place since about 50 years and although not many have ever heard of it, it has worked quite well.

I think there must be a way to level the playing field. There are so many things in favour of bigger clubs/leagues (not only money) that there must also be a possibility to improve the status quo.

78. Dan says:

Buzz Carrick over at the 3rd Degree is reporting that one party or the other has scuppered the deal and that Cooper will play out his contract in Dallas.

link to 3rddegree.net

79. sonicdeathmonkey says:

________________________________________________

Wrong. The league changed it up several years ago. The team gets two-thirds of the fee, while the league gets the rest.

80. Andy says:

What other Eastern European leagues do you follow? Where do you follow the games at? My friend from Italy said that it used to be the Eastern European clubs showed up in the European cups and their kits were just trash, the pitches were horrid, and the quality of the clubs were laughable. He said there’s a huge difference now that the Iron Curtain is down. I’m always interested in knowing what’s going on in that part of the world since my father in law is an East German refugee.

81. Barry U says:

Ok so can someone explain why MLS won’t give the 10% of the transfer fee to the player? I’ve seen now two articles that reference moves to Rosenborg and Bristol City died becuase of it. MLS is doing many things right but it kills me on some others. This is one of those things. WOW!

Did they stiff Jozy? Could they try and stiff LD. He might say take it just so he can go.

82. Tomasz says:

I follow the Polish, Czech and Austrian league. Of course Austria doesn’t belong to Eastern Europe and Poland and the Czech Republic are geographically Central Europe as well…But you know sometimes I sum everything that was behind the Iron Curtain under “Eastern Europe”. I follow the Austrian league on TV and the others via internet streams. Unfortunately, the Polish league is currently in a very poor state. It is hard to describe – corruption is a serious problem over there. But I hope that the Euro 2012 will help the league in the middle term.

The leagues in the former Yugoslavia are also pretty dead. Red Star Belgrad used to be quite a force in European club football. Now they are almost finished. It’s sad to see them now as I still remember the side which won the CL in 1991.

83. zongzap says:

1860 didn’t work out that well for Twellman and he’s a Hell of a lot better scorer then Cooper will ever be. (29 goals in 59 apperances)

84. papa bear says:

Cooper’s lack of pace and inability/refusal to make himself into a target man will always be a detriment to him and it will be exposed even more in Germany.
    Hopefully he can learn to transform himself into that kinda Luca Toni style player. Germany will be a good place because the Germans are a lot bigger & taller on average than most other European nations so he’ll be dealing with some pretty monstrous centerbacks who’ll toughen him up or call him out quick.

85. MiamiAl says:

I think this is a lateral move at best. Cooper ain’t coming to South Africa anyway…

86. Brian Kenny says:

“That is 9 USMNT starters playing in the first division in Europe. Wow.”

Tha Duece,

I would have added an exclamation point after “Wow”. I agree with your point. I am probably an ‘old timer’ on this board as I played my college ball in the mid-80s.

I remember going to USMNT qualifiers and watching Bruce Murray start for the Nats! We have come a long way,…despite what Messrs. Trecker and Gardner say. I remember our U-20 team being almost exclusively amateurs.

Slowly but surely,…the USMNT program is advancing (I would actually say that on the whole – top to bottom – no other national team program has advanced more that the USMNT,…maybe Croatia. Recall that in 1988,…we were a total doormat in CONCACAF).

87. PeterGriffinvsHomerSimpson says:

Germans only 5’11 on average, Dutch nearly 6’1. Brits 5’10 and Spanish, Italians, Portuguese 5’8.

So Kenny Cooper would be manhandling the Portuguese

88. Atlista says:

FC Frisco should move to Montreal…Good money move for Coop, but this does not help USMNT.

89. Rory says:

Cooper is about HALF as good as Conor Casey. I’m glad Bob Bradley was smart enough to realize that Cooper wasn’t even good enough to START for the USA c-team that got beat by Mexico.

90. Joseph D'Hippopotamus says:

Hopefully now he can fix this terrible acne…Just a dab, that’s all you need!

91. mike ruze says:

Wish he woulda went to a better club.

However,

Berhalter Twellman Wolf and Purdy didnt get better because they all had low ceilings. Outside of MLS they have always sucked and always will.

92. ThaDeuce says:

@toumba and jimmygreaves,
    enjoyed your thoughtful posts.

93. ThaDeuce says:

@Brian Kenny
    “BTW – a blog like Soccer By Ives in 1988 was a total fantasy for soccer fans!! Don’t take it for granted.”
    Hah, I won’t (clearly)!

94. Henry Hilger says:

Being very familiar with 1860 Muenchen and Bayern Muenchen I can only congratulate Cooper for being in Muenchen. However I have the feeling that he would have been better off being drafted by the Bayern Muenchen 2nd team than 1860 Muenchen. 1860 Muenchen has had it ups and downs for the last four or 5 years. I forgot how many coaches they let go during those years, the player personell was not up to par and were unable to win even against the bottom level teams in the 2nd Bundesliga. However in the last year they seem to be getting some what better, but I seriously doubt for them to be good enough to advance, besides I question if Cooper will fit into the team. It will be interesting to see how the story will end.