By FRANCO PANIZO
Jose Francisco Torres was recently battling a hamstring injury, but you wouldn't know it after the goal he scored in Pachuca's latest game.
Torres scored his first goal of the Mexican League season by launching the winner in Pachuca's 5-3 victory over Puebla with just six minutes to play. Torres struck a picture-perfect free kick that left Puebla goalkeeper Jorge Villalpando motionless, and the U.S. national team midfielder followed up his strike with a somersault celebration.
Torres wasn't the only player to get on the scoresheet this weekend. Freddy Adu netted his first goal for Aris Salonika in the club's 2-1 victory over Ergotelis. The goal was Adu's first at the club level since scoring for Benfica during the 2007-2008 season.
Michael Bradley didn't score this weekend, but he did help create a goal in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 2-1 win over Nurnberg. Bradley showed great accuracy and vision as he released a ball from his own half behind Nurnberg's defense, sparking the sequence to Moenchengladbach's first goal.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Clint Dempsey did not dress in Fulham's 4-0 win vs. Notts County in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa's 2-2 draw vs. Crystal Palace in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Sunday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 2-2 draw vs. Crystal Palace in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Sunday.
Stuart Holden dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. Tottenham Hotspur in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Saturday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Kenny Cooper dressed but did not play in Plymouth Argyle's 3-1 win vs. Barnsley on Saturday.
- Ian Joyce did not dress in Southend United's 1-1 draw vs. Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Norwich City's 2-1 win vs. Brighton on Saturday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 15 minutes in Leeds United's 1-1 draw vs. Leyton Orient on Saturday.
- Jemal Johnson started and played 75 minutes in Stockport County's 2-2 draw vs. Colchester United on Saturday.
- Jon-Paul Pittman came off the bench and played 9 minutes in Wycombe Wanderers' 1-1 draw vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu dressed but did not play in Rangers' 3-0 win vs. Hibernian on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 45 minutes in Rangers' 3-0 win vs. Hibernian on Sunday.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 4-4 draw vs. Aberdeen on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in AC Milan's 3-2 win vs. Udinese on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Michael Bradley started, played 90 minutes and helped set up a goal in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 2-1 win vs. Nurnberg on Friday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96's 5-1 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday. He is recovering from a shoulder injury.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress in Hannover 96's 5-1 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-0 win vs. FC Cologne on Sunday. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Ricardo Clark did not dress in Eintracht Frankfurt's 2-1 win vs. SC Freiburg on Sunday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern play MSV Duisburg on Monday.
- Matt Taylor did not dress in FSV Frankfurt's 0-0 draw vs. St Pauli on Friday.
- David Yeldell dressed but did not play in TUS Koblenz's 0-0 draw vs. Hansa Rostock on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanegra dressed but did not play in Stade Rennes' 1-0 loss vs. AJ Auxerre on Sunday.
- Charlie Davies did not dress in Sochaux's 0-0 draw vs. Le Mans on Saturday. He is recovering from multiple injuries.
- Freddy Adu started, played 62 minutes and scored a GOAL in Aris Salonika's 2-1 win vs. Ergotelis on Sunday.
- Eddie Johnson started and played 62 minutes in Aris Salonika's 2-1 win vs. Ergotelis on Sunday.
- Jose Francisco Torres came off the bench, played 45 minutes and scored a GOAL in Pachuca's 5-3 win vs. Puebla on Sunday.
- Edgar Castillo and Tigres UANL play Pumas UNAM on Sunday evening.
- Marco Vidal started and played 90 minutes in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 1-1 draw vs. San Luis on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 33 minutes in Puebla's 5-3 loss vs. Pachuca on Sunday.
- Michael Hoyos started and played 62 minutes in Estudiantes La Plata's 3-2 loss vs. Independiente on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Torres should take free kicks for the U.S. national team? Do you see Adu's form improving? Did you like Bradley's pass?
Share your thoughts below.