Photo by David Bernal/ISIphotos.com
At long last, the David Beckham sweepstakes is officially over, and the Los Angeles Galaxy are the winners.
The league's original Designated Player signed a two-year deal with the Galaxy on Wednesday, putting an end to a long-winded bout of speculation regarding his future. After spurning Paris-St. Germain's advances, it was expected that Beckham would return to MLS. The fact that his new deal is for more than just one season, though, is a bit of a curveball.
"This was an important decision for me," Beckham, whose initial five-year deal with MLS expired at the end of last year, said in a team-issued release. "I had many offers from clubs from around the world, however, I'm still passionate about playing in America and winning trophies with the Galaxy."
"I've seen first-hand how popular soccer is now in the States, and I'm as committed as ever to growing the game here. My family and I are incredibly happy and settled in America, and we look forward to spending many more years here."
As SBI reported earlier in the day, Beckham is going to be re-introduced at a Thursday press conference. The event is set for 2 p.m. PT at the Staples Center.
Beckham, by all accounts, had his best season in MLS last year in helping lead the Galaxy to the MLS Cup title. His 15 assists were second-most in MLS, one behind Houston's Brad Davis, and his overall play led him to his first MLS Best XI honors.
"I am thrilled that David has chosen to re-join the Galaxy, especially as he had numerous options where he could continue his career," Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said. "I felt that he was one of the best players in all of MLS last season, and we could not have achieved the success that we did without him. We look forward to trying to replicate that success this season with David once again in a Galaxy uniform."
Surprised Beckham's new deal is not just for one year? Excited that Beckham will remain in MLS?
Share your thoughts below.