photo courtesy of GEPA-pictures.com/Wien Energie
By FRANCO PANIZO
Terrence Boyd's start to the season has been better than many could have imagined, and he continued his run of good form by inspiring Rapid Vienna to their latest victory.
Three days after scoring a goal that helped Rapid Vienna advance to the Europa League group stage, the young U.S. men's national team striker netted a brace that included the winner in the Austrian club's 3-0 victory over SV Mattersburg. Boyd now has four goals in league play and six across all competitions in his first month-and-a-half with Rapid Vienna.
Boyd was not the only American to find the back of the net. Jermaine Jones scored his first goal of the season for Schalke 04, firing home the decisice strike in their 3-1 triumph over FC Augsburg on Saturday. Jones made a dribbling run from deep on the right flank and he finished by burying a low shot to the far post, helping Schalke earn their first three points of the Bundesliga season.
It was not all good news, however. Three days after Josh Gatt delivered an assist to help Molde FK advance to the group stage of the Europa League, Gatt suffered his latest setback by way of injury in Molde's 4-1 loss to Brann on Sunday. Gatt dished out an assist in the match, but he was forced to come out after 66 minutes due to a hamstring injury.
Here's how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton's 2-0 loss vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Tottenham Hotspur's 1-1 draw vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Clint Dempsey did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes, made three saves and received a yellow card in Aston Villa's 1-1 draw vs. Newcastle United on Sunday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City's 2-2 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu dressed but did not play for Stoke City.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers' 3-1 loss vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 1-0 win vs. Peterborough United on Saturday.
- Will Packwood dressed but did not play for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle came off the bench and played 1 minute in Derby County's 5-1 win vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Robbie Findley did not dress in Nottingham Forest's 2-1 win vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City's 1-0 win vs. Blackpool on Saturday.
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Carlisle United's 2-0 loss vs. Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers started and played 59 minutes in Stevenage's 1-1 draw vs. Shrewsbury Town on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started and played 90 minutes in Scunthorpe United's 2-0 loss vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga CF's 1-0 win vs. Real Zaragoza on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanega did not dress in Racing Santander's 0-0 draw vs. Sporting Gijon on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in AS Roma's 3-1 win vs. Inter Milan on Sunday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 4-0 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 90 minutes before being substituted late and scored a GOAL in Schalke 04's 3-1 win vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 4-0 loss vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 45 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg's 1-1 draw vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen's 2-0 win vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales and Hertha Berlin play FC Union Berlin on Monday.
- John Anthony Brooks and Hertha Berlin play FC Union Berlin on Monday.
- Andrew Wooten came off the bench and played 15 minutes in SV Sandhausen's 2-1 loss vs. St Pauli on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in St Pauli's 2-1 win vs. SV Sandhausen on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar's 5-1 loss vs. PSV Eindhoven on Sunday.
- Tony Taylor started and played 59 minutes in G.D. Estoril Praia's 2-2 draw vs. Guimaraes on Saturday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell dressed but did not play in Vitoria Setubal FC's 0-0 draw vs. Gil Vicente on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 45 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 2-2 draw vs. Racing Genk on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in Zenit St. Petersburg's 3-0 win vs. Mordovia Saransk on Friday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 73 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in Rapid Vienna's 3-0 win vs. SV Mattersburg on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 0-0 draw vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson started and played 90 minutes in Brondby IF's 0-0 draw vs. FC Nordsjaelland on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien started and played 90 minutes in SonderjyskE's 4-0 loss vs. Aalborg BK on Friday.
- Charlie Davies came off the bench and played 20 minutes in Randers FC's 1-0 loss vs. AC Horsens on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 73 minutes and received a yellow card in Helsingborgs IF's 2-1 loss vs. AIK on Sunday.
- Brian Span dressed but did not play in Djurgardens IF's 3-2 win vs. Orebro SK on Friday.
- Josh Gatt started, played 66 minutes before being subbed off with a hamstring injury and had an ASSIST in Molde FK's 4-1 loss vs. Brann on Sunday.
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK's 2-0 loss vs. Aalesund on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud and Rosenborg BK play Stabaek IF on Monday.
- Sean Cunningham and Stabaek IF play Rosenborg BK on Monday.
- Chad Barrett started and played 61 mintues in Valerenga's 4-0 win vs. Sandnes Ulf on Friday.
- Jose Torres started and played 79 minutes in Pachuca's 1-1 draw vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play in Santos Laguna's 3-1 win vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley and Puebla play Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday evening.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 3-1 loss vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal dressed but did not play in San Luis' 2-0 loss vs. Leon on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Club Tijuana's 2-0 win vs. Jagaues de Chiapas on Friday.
- Joe Corona started and played 84 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza started and played 67 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America's 1-1 draw vs. Toluca on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? How many goals do you see Boyd scoring this season? Do you see Jones and Schalke having a big campaign? Concerned by Gatt's latest injury?
Share your thoughts below.