Photo by John Todd/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
It may have taken a little longer than he would have liked, but Maurice Edu finally made his Stoke City debut.
Edu made his first appearance for Stoke in the club's scoreless draw with Liverpool on Sunday. Edu came off the bench and played the final nine minutes of the match, helping Stoke stymie the Reds' attack to earn a big point at Anfield in his first game at the club level since last May.
Three players found the back of the net this weekend, but no one's goal was bigger than Terrence Boyd's latest finish. Boyd netted his seventh goal of the season across all competitions and fifth in league play when he scored a late equalizer in Rapid Vienna's 1-1 draw with FC Magna Wr. Neustadt.
Michael Bradley and Herculez Gomez were the others to find the back of the net. Gomez opened the scoring in Santos Laguna's 1-1 draw with Queretaro after making a well-timed run to get in behind the defense, while Bradley scored his first goal for AS Roma in a 2-0 triumph over Atalanta in his first game back from injury.
It was not all good news, however. Jozy Altidore had his first major hiccup of the season, getting sent off with a second yellow card for dissent in the 52nd minute of AZ Alkmaar's 3-0 defeat to Twente Enschede, and Brad Friedel's consecutive start streak in the Premiership ended at 310 games after he was benched in favor of Hugo Lloris in Tottenham's 2-0 win against Aston Villa.
Here's how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Everton's 2-2 draw vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham's 2-0 win vs. Aston Villa on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 82 minutes for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa's 2-0 loss vs. Tottenham on Sunday.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City's 0-0 draw vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Maurice Edu came off the bench and played nine minutes for Stoke City.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers' 2-1 loss vs. Millwall on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 1-0 loss vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 0-0 draw vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread came off the bench and played 27 minutes in Leicester City's 2-0 win vs. Bristol City on Saturday.
- Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Carlisle United's 2-1 win vs. Walsall on Saturday.
- Robbie Rogers dressed but did not play in Stevenage's 1-0 win vs. Scunthorpe United on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started and played 90 minutes in Scunthorpe United's 1-0 loss vs. Stevenage on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Malaga CF's 1-1 draw vs. Atletico Madrid on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanega started and played 90 minutes in Racing Santander's 1-0 loss vs. Murcia on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started, played 72 minutes and scored a GOAL in AS Roma's 2-0 win vs. Atalanta on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo started, played 81 minutes and received a yellow card in Hannover 96's 1-1 draw vs. Borussia Dortmund on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 3-0 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's 2-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for committing a foul for a penalty kick in FC Nurnberg's 3-0 loss vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen's 2-2 draw vs. VfB Stuttgart on Sunday.
- John Anthony Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin's 3-0 win vs. TSV 1860 Munich on Friday.
- Alfredo Morales dressed but did not play for Hertha Berlin.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 90 minutes and had an ASSIST in SV Sandhausen's 1-0 win vs. VfR Aalen on Sunday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress in St Pauli's 2-2 draw vs. FC Union Berlin on Friday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 52 minutes and received two yellow cards in AZ Alkmaar's 3-0 loss vs. Twente Enschede on Sunday.
- Tony Taylor came off the bench and played 45 minutes in G.D. Estoril Praia's 3-1 loss vs. Rio Ave on Sunday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell did not dress in Vitoria Setubal FC's 0-0 draw vs. Pacos de Ferreira on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht's 2-1 loss vs. Standard Liege on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in FC Rostov's 2-1 loss vs. Terek Grozny on Friday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rapid Vienna's 1-1 draw vs. FC Magna Wr. Neustadt on Sunday. You can see the goal here.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 81 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 3-0 loss vs. Odense BK on Friday.
- Clarence Goodson did not dress in Brondby IF's 3-1 loss vs. Aalborg BK on Sunday.
- Conor O'Brien started and played 90 minutes in SonderjyskE's 3-0 loss vs. AGF Aarhus on Saturday.
- Charlie Davies dressed but did not play in Randers FC's 2-1 win vs. FC Midtjylland on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in Helsingborgs IF's 2-0 win vs. Mjallby on Sunday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Brian Span did not dress in Djurgardens IF's 2-2 draw vs. Kalmar FF on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt started and played 45 minutes in Molde FK's 3-2 win vs. Sandnes Ulf on Sunday.
- Steve Clark and Honefoss BK play Brann on Monday.
- Mix Diskerud did not dress in Rosenborg BK's 1-0 win vs. Odd Grenland on Sunday.
- Sean Cunningham did not dress in Stabaek IF's 1-0 loss vs. Tromso on Sunday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Chad Barrett dressed but did not play in Valerenga's 1-1 draw vs. Stromsgodset on Monday.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Pachuca's 1-1 draw vs. Leon on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 64 minutes and scored a GOAL in Santos Laguna's 1-1 draw vs. Queretaro on Saturday.
- Hector Joya dressed but did not play for Santos Laguna.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Puebla's 2-1 win vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jonathan Bornstein dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL's 2-1 loss vs. Puebla on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal and San Luis play Jaguares de Chiapas on Sunday night.
- Edgar Castillo and Club Tijuana play Toluca on Sunday evening.
- Joe Corona and Club Tijuana play Toluca on Sunday evening.
- Greg Garza and Club Tijuana play Toluca on Sunday evening.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America's 3-1 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Edu breaking into Stoke City's line-up soon? Impressed with Boyd's latest finish? More disappointed with Altidore's sending off or Friedel's streak coming to an end?
Share your thoughts below.