By FRANCO PANIZO Rapid Vienna has had a disastrous showing in the Europa League, but the same cannot be said for forward Terrence Boyd. Boyd continued his strong start to his first professional season on Thursday, scoring his third goal in the competition to give Rapid Vienna a 2-1 lead over Mix Diskerud and Rosenborg BK. The goal was Boyd’s 11th of the season across all competitions, but it would not stand as the winner as Rosenborg responded by scoring twice to hand already-eliminated Vienna its latest loss in the group stage of the tournament. Oguchi Onyewu was another player who had a notable outing this week, as he started in Malaga’s Champions League clash with Zenit St Petersburg on Tuesday. Onyewu went the distance in the 2-2 draw, a result that assured Malaga a first-place finish in their group. It was not all good news, however. Sacha Kljestan and Anderlecht suffered a 3-1 loss to AC Milan in the Champions League on Wednesday, and that result eliminated them from the competition. Kljestan started and went the distance in the demoralizing defeat. Here’s how the Americans Abroad fared during the midweek action: UEFA Champions League
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 3-1 loss vs. AC Milan on Wednesday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Schalke 04′s 1-0 win vs. Olympiakos on Wednesday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Malaga’s 2-2 draw vs. Zenit St Petersburg on Wednesday.
- Michael Parkhurst started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Nordsjaelland’s 5-2 loss vs. Shakhtar Donetsk on Tuesday.
UEFA Europa League
- Clint Dempsey started and played 63 minutes in Tottenham Hotspur’s 0-0 draw vs. Lazio on Thursday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Metalist Kharkiv on Thursday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96′s 0-0 draw vs. Twente Enschede on Thursday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 90 minutes in Helsingborgs IF’s 3-1 loss vs. Levante on Thursday.
- Terrence Boyd started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rapid Vienna’s 3-2 loss vs. Rosenborg BK on Thursday.
- Mix Diskerud started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Rosenborg BK’s 3-2 win vs. Rapid Vienna on Thursday.
- Josh Gatt started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Molde FK’s 2-1 loss vs. FC Copenhagen on Thursday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 3-1 loss vs. Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Scunthorpe United’s 2-1 loss vs. Bury on Tuesday.
- Robbie Rogers came off the bench and played 23 minutes in Stevenage’s 1-1 draw vs. AFC Bournemouth on Tuesday.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 2-0 loss vs. Toluca in the first leg of their semifinals series on Thursday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-0 loss vs. Leon in the first leg of their semifinals series on Thursday.
- Joe Corona started, played 67 minutes and received a yellow card for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Boyd having 11 goals at this point in his first professional season? Do you see Onyewu breaking into Malaga’s lineup during the knockout stage of the Champions League?
Share your thoughts below.