By FRANCO PANIZO
Clint Dempsey is officially a thorn in Manchester United’s side.
For the second time this season, Dempsey punished Manchester United by scoring a vital goal for Tottenham on Sunday. Dempsey, who scored the winner the last time these two teams met in September, donned the hero’s cape by tucking away a 93rd-minute shot from close range to give Spurs a 1-1 draw inside of a snowy White Hart Lane. The goal was Dempsey’s fifth in the Premiership and seventh in all competitions this season.
Jozy Altidore also found the back of the net this weekend, scoring a hat-trick in AZ Alkmaar’s 4-1 win against Vitesse Arnhem on Saturday. Altidore netted all three goals in a span of 22 minutes in the second half and now has 14 goals in league play and 18 across all competitions this season. The hat-trick was Altidore’s second of the campaign.
A pair of players also made their respective debuts for their new clubs. Maurice Edu came off the bench and played 25 minutes in Bursaspor’s 2-1 triumph over Kayserispor on Saturday afternoon, and Jose Torres started and played 71 minutes as Tigres UANL defeated Atlas, 1-0, on Saturday night.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard and Everton play Southampton on Monday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 1-1 draw vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa’s 2-2 draw vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj came off the bench, played 85 minutes and received a yellow card for Aston Villa.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 3-1 loss vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 1-1 draw vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 0-0 draw vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 2-2 draw vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County’s 1-1 draw vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City’s 1-0 win vs. Middlesbrough on Friday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Frank Simek and Carlisle United’s game vs. Crawley Town on Saturday was postponed due to the field being frozen.
- Mike Grella and Scunthorpe United’s game vs. Portsmouth on Saturday was postponed due to the field being frozen.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga CF’s 1-1 draw vs. Celta Vigo on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanega started and played 90 minutes in Racing Santander’s 1-0 loss vs. Las Palmas on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started, played 90 minutes and drew a penalty kick in AS Roma’s 1-1 draw vs. Inter Milan on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96’s 5-4 loss vs. Schalke 04 on Friday. He is recovering from knee pains.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04’s 5-4 win vs. Hannover 96 on Friday. He is serving a suspension.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 0-0 draw vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 54 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 65 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 1-1 draw vs. Hamburg SV on Sunday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 3-1 win vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst dressed but did not play in FC Augsburg’s 3-2 win vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes and scored THREE GOALS in AZ Alkmaar’s 4-1 win vs. Vitesse Arnhem on Saturday.
- Tony Taylor did not dress in G.D. Estoril Praia’s 2-1 loss vs. Gil Vicente on Sunday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell dressed but did not play in Vitoria Setubal’s 4-1 loss vs. Braga on Sunday.
- Maurice Edu came off the bench and played 25 minutes in Bursaspor’s 2-1 win vs. Kayserispor on Saturday.
- Sacha Kljestan and RSC Anderlecht’s game vs. Zulte-Waregem on Saturday was postponed due to inclement weather.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 90 minutes in Santos Laguna’s 2-1 loss vs. Puebla on Sunday.
- Hector Joya did not dress for Santos Laguna.
- Jose Torres started and played 71 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 win vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-1 win vs. Pumas UNAM on Sunday.
- Joe Corona did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- DaMarcus Beasley came off the bench and played 20 minutes in Puebla’s 2-1 win vs. Santos Laguna on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started and played 45 minutes for Puebla.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 4-0 win vs. Atlante on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Dempsey’s late-game heroics? Which of Altidore’s three goals did you like the best?
Share your thoughts below.