By IVES GALARCEP
While the U.S. Men’s National Team’s loss to Honduras on Wednesday put a sour taste on the week for American soccer players, the weekend helped to provide plenty of bright spots around the globe.
In England, Brad Guzan made some clutch late saves to help Aston Villa post a crucial 2-1 victory against West Ham United. The win, Villa’s first in two months, helped the team climb out of the relegation zone.
In Mexico, DaMarcus Beasley reminded us that he is still very much an attacking threat after scoring a pair of quality goals in Puebla’s 3-1 win vs. San Luis on Saturday.
In Germany, young American forward Bobby Wood enjoyed one of the best games of his young career, scoring a goal and help setting up another in 1860 Munich’s 3-1 win vs. Duisburg on Saturday. The former U.S. Under-20 forward has quietly become making a name for himself with the Bundesliga 2 side.
Another bit of good news out of Germany included Michael Parkhurst’s Bundesliga debut. The U.S. national team fullback made his debut for Augsurg on Saturday, coming in before halftime to put in a half of playing time in a loss.
Here is a rundown of how American players fared in top leagues around the world this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton’s 2-0 loss to Manchester United on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey started, played 90 minutes and drew a free kick that led to a goal in Tottenham’s 2-1 win vs. Newcastle on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play for Tottenham.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Aston Villa’s 2-1 win vs. West Ham on Sunday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress for Aston Villa.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress for West Ham.
- Geoff Cameron came off the bench and played seven minutes in Stoke City’s 2-1 win vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton’s 2-1 win vs. Burnley on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 1-1 tie vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a broken leg.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County’s 2-2 tie vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leceister City’s 2-1 loss to Peterborough United on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 2-1 win vs. Stevenage on Saturday.
- Mike Grella started and played 60 minutes in Scunthorpe United’s 2-1 win vs. Crawley Town on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga’s 2-1 win vs. Levante on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanega did not dress in Racing Santander’s 1-0 win vs. Huesca on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 66 minutes in AS Roma’s 3-1 loss to Sampdoria on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones started and played 90 minutes in Schalke 04’s 4-0 loss to Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 1-0 loss to Hannover 96 on Saturday.
- Danny Williams came off the bench and played 12 minutes for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 0-0 tie vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96’s 2-0 loss vs. Werder Bremen on Friday. He is recovering from knee surgery.
- Michael Parkhurst played 47 minutes and drew a yellow card in FC Augsburg’s 1-1 draw vs. Mainz 05 on Sunday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 3-3 tie vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL and helped set up another in TSV 1860 Munich’s 3-1 win vs. Duisburg on Saturday.
- John Anthony Brooks and Alfredo Morales and Hertha Berlin play Union Berlin on Monday.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 90 minutes and recorded an assist in SV Sandhausen’s 3-1 win vs. St. Pauli on Sunday.
- Joe Gyau dressed but did not play for St Pauli.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-1 loss to Feyenoord on Sunday.
- Tony Taylor came off the bench and played 10 minutes in G.D. Estoril Praia’s 2-0 win vs. Guimaraes on Saturday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell dressed but did not play in Vitoria Setubal’s vs. Gil Vicente on Sunday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 in Bursaspor’s 3-0 win vs. Kardemir Karaburk on Saturday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-1 win vs. Waasland-Beveren on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley came off the bench, played 33 minutes and scored TWO GOALS in Puebla’s 3-1 win vs. San Luis on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal started and played 90 minutes for Puebla.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 90 minutes in Santos Laguna 1-0 loss to Pachuca on Sunday.
- Hector Joya did not dress for Santos Laguna.
- Jose Torres started and played 78 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 4-1 win vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 57 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-1 loss to Club America on Saturday.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played 24 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress for Club America
What do you think of these performances? Think Guzan is starting to play his way into some playing time for the U.S. national team? See Beasley getting a look from Klinsmann soon? See Parkhurst settling in with Augusburg and pushing Timmy Chandler for the starting right back role on the US. national team?
Share your thoughts below.