By FRANCO PANIZO
On a weekend that may just be the worst in a long time for the Americans Abroad contingent, one of the players that U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann continuously ignores shined brightly.
Eric Lichaj was one of very few Americans to enjoy a good performance this past weekend, as he helped Nottingham Forest pick up a 3-1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday. Lichaj started and went the distance in the match and the victory moved the Reds into fourth place in the Championship and extended their current unbeaten streak to six games. With the good came some bad for Lichaj, however, as he picked up his fifth yellow card of the season in the game.
Jose Torres was also shown a yellow card on Saturday. In fact, he was shown two. Torres was sent off a minute into the second half of Tigres UANL’s 2-1 loss to Toluca for a foul during the run of play and that means he will miss his club’s upcoming match against Atlante on Oct. 18. The ejection came three days after a forgettable performance in Copa MX play in which he was partially responsible for a goal and missed a penalty kick in Tigres UANL’s penalty shootout defeat to Monterrey.
Tim Howard and Jozy Altidore also saw their teams fall. Howard and Everton’s unbeaten start to the season came to a close on Saturday with a 3-1 loss to Manchester City in which Howard was deemed to have scored an own goal, and Altidore and Sunderland remained without a victory after losing to Manchester United, 2-1, despite taking an early lead.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, made four saves, received a yellow card and scored an own goal in Everton’s 3-1 loss vs. Manchester City on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in Sunderland’s 2-1 loss vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 loss vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Aston Villa’s 0-0 draw vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-0 loss vs. West Ham United on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 2-1 loss vs. Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-1 win vs. Birmingham City on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Derby County’s 3-1 win vs. Leeds United on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Nottingham Forest’s 3-1 win vs. Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 2-1 loss vs. Burnley on Saturday. He is recovering from a foot injury.
- Michael Bradley did not dress in AS Roma’s 3-0 win vs. Inter on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Fabian Johnson did not dress in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 2-2 draw vs. Mainz 05 on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 5-0 loss vs. Hamburg SV on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 4-1 loss vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04′s 4-1 win vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96′s 1-1 draw vs. Hertha Berlin on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 1-1 draw vs. Hannover 96 on Friday. He is recovering from an elbow injury.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played two minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 1-0 win vs. VfL Bochum on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern’s 3-0 win vs. Arminia Bielefeld on Friday.
- Bobby Wood did not dress in TSV 1860 Munich’s 0-0 draw vs. Energie Cottbus on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in FC Nantes’ 3-0 win vs. Evian Thonon Gaillard on Saturday. He came down with an illness prior to the game.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 66 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-1 loss vs. FC Groningen on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in FK Tom’ Tomsk’s 3-0 loss vs. Zenit St Petersburg on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 71 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 1-0 loss vs. KV Kortrijk on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd started and played 90 minutes in Rapid Vienna’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Magna Wr. Neustadt on Sunday.
- Brian Span did not dress in Djurgarden IF’s 2-1 win vs. IFK on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 68 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 0-0 draw vs. Honefoss BK on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK’s 1-0 win vs. Tromso on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Ethan Horvath dressed but did not play for Molde FK.
- Ben Spencer did not dress for Molde FK .
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK’s 0-0 draw vs. Rosenborg BK on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 3-1 loss vs. Club Leon on Saturday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 90 minutes for Puebla.
- Jose Torres started, played 46 minutes and received TWO YELLOW CARDS in Tigres UANL’s 2-1 loss vs. Toluca on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 win vs. Queretaro on Friday.
- Greg Garza started and played 41 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench and played 35 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 26 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 2-1 loss vs. Atlante on Saturday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Bahia’s 1-1 draw vs. AA Ponte Preta on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Wondering what Lichaj has to do to get called in by Klinsmann? Disappointed by the overall bad weekend?
Share your thoughts below.