By JAY BELL
A week after Mix Diskerud submitted his candidate for goal of the year for Americans Abroad, Jermaine Jones unleashed a nominee of his own on Saturday. Jones scored on a screamer to notch the final goal in a 3-0 win for Schalke over Stuttgart.
Jones ended November on a high note after struggling for much of the month, including a pair of lackluster performances for the U.S. Men’s National Team.
Tim Howard and Everton continued their dominant form at home this weekend. The U.S. goalkeeper made three saves and had little to do as the Toffees dominated Geoff Cameron and Stoke City, 4-0. The match also saw Brek Shea earn his first league minutes this season for Stoke.
Two players trying to fight their way back into the USMNT setup, Eric Lichaj and Danny Williams, both started and went the distance against one another on Friday. Lichaj played 90 minutes for Nottingham Forest and Williams went the full 90 in Reading’s 3-2 victory.
One brief appearance that could have an effect on the U.S. national team was Steve Cherundolo’s cameo in stoppage time for Hannover in their 2-0 win over Frankfurt. It was Cherundolo’s first minutes with the team in over six months.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton’s 4-0 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore dressed by did not play in Sunderland’s 0-0 draw vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started, played 90 minutes and picked up a yellow card in Stoke City’s 4-0 loss vs. Everton on Saturday.
- Brek Shea came off the bench and played 30 minutes in Stoke City’s 4-0 loss to Everton on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made one save in Aston Villa’s 0-0 draw vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-2 draw vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 3-0 win vs. Barnsley on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 loss vs. Middlesborough on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 3-1 win vs. Wigan Athletic on Sunday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 3-2 loss vs. Reading on Friday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 3-2 win vs. Nottingham Forest on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Queens Park Rangers’ 2-1 loss vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Duane Holmes dressed but did not play in Huddersfield Town’s 2-1 win vs. Burnley on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started and played 90 minutes in AS Roma’s 1-1 draw vs. Atalanta on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson came off the bench and played 3 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 4-4 draw vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 3-0 loss to Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 0-0 draw vs. Hertha Berlin on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Schalke 04′s 3-0 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo came off the bench and played one minute in Hannover 96′s 2-0 vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Sunday.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Augsburg on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 57 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 2-0 loss vs. SV Sandhausen on Saturday.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern’s 3-2 loss vs. Dynamo Dresden on Saturday.
- Bobby Wood came off the bench, played 17 minutes and picked up a yellow card in TSV 1860 Munich’s 2-0 win vs. VfL Bochum on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 83 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-0 loss vs. Guingamp on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-2 loss vs. NEC Nijmegen on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov and FK Tom Tomsk play Anzhi Makhachkala on Monday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 90 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-1 win vs. Cercle Brugge KSV on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien came off the bench and played 15 minutes in Odense BK’s 4-1 win vs. AGF Aarhus on Sunday.
- Babajide Ogunbiyi started and played 90 minutes in Viborg FF’s 2-2 draw vs. Sonderjyske on Saturday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 15 minutes for Viborg FF.
- Terrence Boyd dressed but did not play in Rapid Vienna’s 3-0 win vs. FC Wacker Tirol on Sunday.
- Jose Torres and Tigres UANL face Club America Sunday night in the Liga MX playoffs.
- Jonathan Bornstein and Tigres UANL face Club America Sunday night in the Liga MX playoffs.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Bahia’s 2-1 win vs. Cruzeiro on Sunday.