By JAY BELL
It was quite a mixed bag for Americans Abroad in Europe this weekend.
The lone American goal came from Alejandro Bedoya as FC Nantes defeated storied Marseille, 1-0, on Friday. It was Bedoya’s second straight match with a goal.
The best result of the weekend was a 3-2 stunner for Stoke City over Chelsea. Geoff Cameron played all 90 minutes and was part of a win in which Oussama Assaidi, a late sub, shocked Chelsea with a winner in the 90th minute.
Tim Howard’s four-save effort for Everton finished off a solid week with a 1-1 draw against Arsenal. A goal by Mesut Özil in the 80th minute was canceled out by Gerard Deulofeu’s goal four minutes later. Roberto Martinez’s Toffees took four points from two away matches this week at Old Trafford and the Emirates. John Brooks returned to the lineup for Hertha Berlin on Sunday as Hertha won, 2-0, and jumped to seventh place in the Bundesliga table.
Americans in the Championship continue to fare well. Tim Ream and Danny Williams went 90 minutes in a Bolton win and Reading loss, respectively. Eric Lichaj played the final 23 minutes as Nottingham Forest held on for a 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday. Nineteen year old Duane Holmes made a late sub appearance for Huddersfield Town.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Everton’s 1-1 draw vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in Sunderland’s 2-1 loss to Tottenham on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 3-2 win vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made seven saves in Aston Villa’s 2-0 loss vs. Fulham on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-1 win over Sunderland on Saturday.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Southampton’s 1-1 draw with Manchester City.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 2-2 draw with Middlesborough on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-0 win vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 5-1 win vs. Blackpool on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Eric Lichaj came off the bench and played 23 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started and played 90 minutes in Reading’s 2-1 loss vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Queens Park Rangers’ 0-0 draw with Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
- Duane Holmes came off the bench and played one minute in Huddersfield Town’s 2-1 loss to Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley came off the bench in stoppage time in AS Roma’s 2-1 win vs. Fiorentina on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson came off the bench and played 17 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 2-1 win vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 1-1 draw against Mainz on Friday.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 1-0 win vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones dressed but did not play in Schalke 04′s 2-1 loss vs. Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo dressed but did not play in Hannover 96′s 4-2 vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 2-0 win vs. Eintracht Braunschweig on Sunday.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 55 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 2-1 win over Energie Cottbus on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten and Kaiserslautern play Fortuna Düsseldorf on Monday.
- Bobby Wood came off the bench and played 1 minute in TSV 1860 Munich’s 2-1 win vs. FC Union Berlin on Saturday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started, played 64 minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Nantes’ 1-0 win vs. Marseille on Friday.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 79 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-1 loss vs. FC Twente on Saturday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in FK Tom Tomsk 2-1 loss to Terek Grozny on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan started and played 72 minutes in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-0 win vs. Waasland-Beveren on Saturday.
- Conor O’Brien started and played 69 minutes in Odense BK’s 2-0 loss to FC Nordsjaelland on Friday.
- Babajide Ogunbiyi and Viborg FF play Aalborg BK on Monday.
- Mike Grella and Viborg FF play Aalborg BK on Monday.
- Terrence Boyd came off the bench and played seven minutes in Rapid Vienna’s 2-1 loss to Wolfsberger AC on Sunday.
- Freddy Adu did not dress in Bahia’s 2-1 loss to Fluminense on Sunday.