By FRANCO PANIZO
There was apparently no repellent strong enough to ward off the injury bug, which tried to go viral this weekend.
Several players in the Americans Abroad contingent were late scratches or removed from their respective games because of injury, including Timmy Chandler, Oguchi Onyewu, and Jermaine Jones. Chandler suffered a knock early in FC Nurnberg’s 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich that will sideline him for 8-10 weeks, while Onyewu and Jones were not able to suit up because of respective calf and groin injuries. Alejandro Bedoya (thigh) and Aron Johannsson (groin) were also not healthy enough to earn some minutes.
Another player who did not see time this weekend is Clint Dempsey, though it is unclear as to if his absence was injury related or not. Dempsey was not in uniform as relegation-threatened Fulham grabbed a 2-2 draw vs. struggling Manchester United on Sunday, marking the first league match he has missed for the Cottagers since making his return on Jan. 4.
There were some positive developments this weekend. Juan Agudelo went the distance for FC Utrecht again in a 5-2 loss to RKC Waalwijk, Joe Corona made his first appearance in three games by coming off the bench and playing 13 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-1 triumph over Monterrey, and Andrew Wooten made his FSV Frankfurt debut and scored the winner in a 2-1 win against VfL Bochum.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made on save in Everton’s 1-0 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey did not dress in Fulham’s 2-2 draw vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in Sunderland’s 2-0 loss vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 2-2 draw vs. Southampton on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started and played 90 minutes in Aston Villa’s 2-0 loss vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 1-0 win vs. Everton on Sunday.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 2-2 draw vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress in West Ham United’s 2-0 win vs. Aston Villa on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread and Derby County play Queens Park Rangers on Monday.
- Danny Williams started and played 65 minutes in Reading’s 2-0 loss vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Will Packwood started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 2-0 win vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from an injury.
- Tim Ream started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Bolton Wanderers’ 2-2 draw vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 1-1 draw vs. Blackpool on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Brek Shea started and played 45 minutes in Barnsley’s 2-2 draw vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Sheffield Wednesday’s 2-0 win vs. Reading on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Duane Holmes did not dress in Huddersfield Town’s 1-0 win vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Gboly Ariyibi did not dress in Leeds United’s 2-1 win vs. Yeovil Town on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96′s 2-0 loss vs. Schalke 04 on Sunday.
- Fabian Johnson dressed but did not play in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 1-1 draw vs. SC Freiburg on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 10 minutes in FC Nurberg’s 2-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 3-0 win vs. Hamburg SV on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played one minute in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 1-1 draw vs. Karlsruhe on Sunday.
- Bobby Wood and TSV 1860 Munich play Fortuna Dusseldorf on Monday.
- Andrew Wooten came off the bench, played 22 minutes and scored a GOAL in FSV Frankfurt’s 2-1 win vs. VfL Bochum on Friday.
- Alejandro Bedoya did not dress in FC Nantes’ 2-1 loss vs. Olympique Lyon on Sunday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-1 loss vs. Go Ahead Eagles on Saturday. He is recovering from a groin injury.
- Juan Agudelo started and played 90 minutes in FC Utrecht’s 5-2 loss vs. RKC Waalwijk on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Besiktas’ 2-1 win vs. Gaziantepspor on Friday. He is recovering from a groin injury.
- Sacha Kljestan dressed but did not play in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-2 draw vs. KV Kortrijk on Saturday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in Rapid Vienna’s 3-1 win vs. Austria Vienna on Sunday. He was serving a one-game suspension for the red card he received in their last game.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 1-0 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 74 minutes for Puebla.
- Jose Torres dressed but did not play in Tigres UANL’s 1-1 draw vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Atlante’s 4-1 loss vs. Cruz Azul on Sunday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 2-1 win vs. Monterrey on Friday.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 61 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played 13 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza dressed but did not play Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 2-1 loss vs. Club Tijuana on Friday.
What do you think of these performances? Concerned by the number of injuries? Worried by Dempsey’s absence in Fulham’s draw with Manchester United?
Share your thoughts below.