By DAN KARELL
Juventus could be searching for a new head coach this summer.
After winning their third straight Scudetto and ending AS Roma’s unbeaten run at home last Saturday, Juventus manager Antonio Conte told Sky Italia that he would take some time as the season comes to a close to decide on his future.
“There will be clarity regarding my position at Juventus over the next few days,” Conte said. “I generally don’t agree with taking a sabbatical, but if there wasn’t a unity of ideas, then I would leave with great affection and respect. I would then evaluate other offers that intrigue me.
“These things go in cycles and I’ve already told the club what I think,” Conte said. “We will soon clarify the situation. I give everything each year to every club I have worked for, as this is who I am.
One of the sticking points for Conte is the lack of success for Juventus in Europe. Despite their success at home, the club has struggled under Conte abroad, failing to make it past the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals in 2012/13 and this season failing to make it out of the group stage.
“I won it as a player and one day I want to win it as a coach,” Conte said. “But if you ask me if it’s possible to do this with Juventus, I would say no.”
Here are some more stories to start your week:
MAN UNITED MAKE BID FOR SOUTHAMPTON’S SHAW
For the second consecutive year, Manchester United are in the running for a new left back.
The club are ready to part ways with incumbent left back Patrice Evra in favor of Southampton youngster Luke Shaw, who impressed in his first full season in the English Premier League. Reports in England state that Man United have already made a £27 million bid for the 18-year-old, who is set to represent England at the World Cup. Chelsea and Manchester City are also reportedly interested in Shaw.
Man United will reportedly offer Shaw a five-year contract in the region of £5.2 million per year, making Shaw the highest-paid teenager in the world.
IBRAHIMOVIC WINS LIGUE 1 PLAYER OF THE YEAR
For the second year in a row Ligue 1′s highest-paid player took home the league’s top individual award.
At the Ligue 1 awards ceremony on Sunday, Paris Saint-Germain forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic was named Ligue 1 Player of the Year, while teammates Salvatore Sirigu and Marco Verratti also took home personal awards too. Ibrahimovic scored 40 goals in all competitions so far this season, including ten in the Champions League.
“For the second year in a row, it is a great honor. I want to thank all the players, the coach, the staff and the supporters,” Ibrahimovic told reporters. “I think this has been my best season. The team have had a magnificent season. In the years to come I hope to win the league again, as well as the two cups, the Champions League and more individual trophies.”
Despite being out of contract this summer, Boca Juniors legend Juan Roman Riquelme has confirmed that he wants to continue playing and isn’t ready to retire again. (REPORT)
American owner Randy Lerner has put Aston Villa up for sale for a reported £200 million. (REPORT)
The Court for Arbitration and Sport has upheld the ten-match ban from FIFA for Croatian international defender Josip Simunic. (REPORT)
Tottenham midfielder Nabil Bentaleb has been named to Algeria’s 30-man World Cup squad. (REPORT)
Chivas have hired former Morelia manager and Argentine league player Carlos Bustos to be manager for the 2014 Apertura. (REPORT)
Former Eintracht Frankfurt manager Armen Veh has been signed by VfB Stuttgart on a contract through 2016. (REPORT)
What do you think of these reports? Do you see Antonio Conte leaving this summer? Think Shaw should sign for Chelsea or Man City instead of Man United? Do you believe Zlatan was the Ligue 1 Player of the Year?
Share your thoughts below.