By FRANCO PANIZO
Mix Diskerud had not started a league match for Rosenborg since before the World Cup, but his performance on Sunday likely helped his cause of breaking into the lineup more regularly in the coming weeks.
Getting the nod in his first game since a May 4 loss to Molde, Diskerud helped Rosenborg pick up a a 1-0 victory over Sogndal. The U.S. Men’s National Team midfielder contributed with a 90-minute performance, and the shutout victory pushed Rosenborg into second place in the Eliteserien standings.
For Edgar Castillo, this weekend marked his Atlas debut. Castillo started and went the distance for his new club on Saturday, as Atlas played to a scoreless draw with Tigres UANL in their Liga MX Apertura opener on Saturday. Compatriots Jose Torres and Herculez Gomez also saw the field in that one, playing 68 and 16 minutes, respectively, for Tigres.
Another battle of Americans in Mexico took place on Friday when Club Tijuana and Puebla kicked off their seasons at Estadio Caliente. Making his official return from injury, Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes for Puebla as they picked up an impressive road win while Greg Garza started, played 84 minutes and received a yellow card for Xolos.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Conor O’Brien dressed but did not play in Odense BK’s 2-1 loss vs. Hobro on Sunday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 1-0 win vs. Sogndal on Sunday.
- Ethan Horvath dressed but did not play in Molde FK’s 3-1 win vs. Sandnes Ulf on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress for Molde FK. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zarek Valentin did not dress in FK Bodo/Glimt’s 2-1 loss vs. IK Start on Saturday. He is recovering from an Achilles injury.
- Michael Stephens started and played 64 minutes in Stabaek IF’s 1-1 draw vs. Brann on Friday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 1-0 win vs. Club Tijuana on Friday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Atlas’ 0-0 draw vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
- Jose Torres started and played 68 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 0-0 draw vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 16 minutes for Tigres UANL.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 3-1 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Friday.
- Greg Garza started, played 84 minutes and received a yellow card in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 loss vs. Puebla.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played six mintues for Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola did not dress for Club Tijuana. He was with the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez dressed but did not play in Monterrey’s 3-1 win vs. Universidad de Guadalajara on Saturday.
- Gabriel Farfan dressed but did not play in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 1-1 draw vs. Guadalajara on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Expecting Diskerud to carve out a regular starting role for Rosenborg? Do you see Castillo enjoying a strong campaign with Atlas?
Share your thoughts below.