By FRANCO PANIZO
Tim Ream and Bolton Wanderers have not made it easy on themselves in the Capital One Cup, but they have done enough to remain in the tournament.
Two weeks after opening their campaign in the competition with a 3-2 extra time win over fourth-tier Bury, Ream and Bolton again had to play an additional 30 minutes to see off Crewe Alexandra by the same scoreline on Tuesday. Ream was deployed as a left back once again, and he and the Trotters looked set to win after the club scored its second goal two minutes into second-half stoppage time. Unfortunately for them, Crewe responded with a equalizer at the death six minutes later to force an extra time that saw Bolton win through a 107th-minute strike from Jermaine Beckford.
Under-23 U.S. Men’s National Team attacker Alonso Hernandez was also involved in cup play, and he was the hero for Monterrey in a 2-1 Copa MX triumph over Atletico San Luis. Hernandez, 20, scored the first goal of his professional career four minutes from the final whistle, breaking the deadlock and giving the Rayados a 2-1 victory.
Another positive development came from Eric Lichaj starting and going the distance in a win over Huddersfield Town in Capital One Cup action. Lichaj served as a left back in the match, and helped the Reds post their second cleansheet at the start of the competition. Fellow American Duane Holmes saw time off the bench, playing the final 17 minutes for Huddersfield Town.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared on Tuesday:
- Tim Ream started and played 120 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-2 extra time win vs. Crewe Alexandra in the Capital One Cup.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 2-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town in the Capital One Cup.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 1-0 win vs. Scunthorpe United in the Capital One Cup. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Duane Holmes came off the bench and played 17 minutes in Huddersfield Town’s 2-0 loss vs. Nottingham Forest in the Capital One Cup.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Derby County’s 1-0 win vs. Charlton Athletic in the Capital One Cup.
- Emerson Hyndman did not dress in Fulham’s 1-0 win vs. Brentford in the Capital One Cup.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 2-0 win vs. Millwall in the Capital One Cup.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 1-1 draw vs. Comunicaciones in the CONCACAF Champions League.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-1 draw vs. Coras Tepic in Copa MX.
- Joe Corona started and played 65 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno did not dress for Club Tijuana. He is recovering from a nose injury.
- Alonso Hernandez started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in Monterrey’s 2-1 win vs. Atletico San Luis in Copa MX.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 2-2 draw vs. Altamira in Copa MX.
- Michael Orozco did not dress in Puebla’s 0-0 draw vs. Necaxa in Copa MX.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Gomez earning more minutes and going on a scoring run now? Think Alvarado sees more playing time in the near future?
Share your thoughts below.