Photo by Bill Streicher/USA Today Sports
By FRANCO PANIZO
The U.S. Men’s National Team roster for the upcoming friendlies is set to be unveiled this weekend, and the discussion on who should be on it is about to go into hyperdrive.
U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann is set to reveal his squad for the looming September matches against Peru and Brazil, and has already revealed that veterans Tim Howard and DaMarcus Beasley will be on it. Who joins them is up for debate, but it seems crystal clear that Klinsmann will go with most of his first-choice players as he attempts to prepare the Americans for October’s all-important 2017 Confederations Cup playoff vs. Mexico.
While some observers might want a litany of changes from the team that performed poorly at the CONCACAF Gold Cup last month, the reality is that Klinsmann is likely to count on many of the same players. One or two new faces like red-hot Sandhusen forward Andrew Wooten could be brought in, but the roster will probably have very few major surprises.
Almost all the major leagues around the world are now in full swing, so Klinsmann will have plenty of options to choose from and some tough decisions to make. In particular, right back is a position that Klinsmann will need to think about plenty given that Fabian Johnson is recovering from an injury while Timmy Chandler only just began to see time again for Eintracht Frankfurt.
Klinsmann might also have to mix things up at the forward and centerback spots, especially at the former spot since leading talisman Clint Dempsey is struggling with a knock.
Who will Klinsmann call up? Here are the 23 players that we think he brings in:
By MICHAEL PENG
Fans hoping to attend the CONCACAF Cup between the United States and Mexico on Oct. 10 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., will take their first step toward securing the tickets in two weeks.
The confederation announced Thursday that fans will be able to apply online at CONCACAF.com on Wednesday, Sept. 9 for the right to purchase tickets through a lottery system, though no specific time for when the application will begin was given.
CONCACAF will notify the winning applicants on Sept. 18 and provide them with the opportunity to select specific seating preferences with the limit capped at six tickets per applicant and one entry per household.
As for the supporters groups of both the U.S. and Mexico, an additional ticketing process will be conducted independently through each federation.
By FRANCO PANIZO
The 2016 Copa America Centenario may happen, after all. It just might not take place in the United States.
CONMEBOL president Juan Angel Napout gave an interview with a Paraguayan radio station on Wednesday in which he said that the location of the centennial tournament was in question. The planned 2016 Copa America was originally scheduled to be played in the United States, but allegations of $100 million in bribes that are part of the highly-publicized FIFA scandal have put that in jeopardy.
Still, Napout sounded optimistic that it will be played. He just is not 100 percent sure where.
“The 100th anniversary will have a celebration and this will be on the field,” said Napout, who is Paraguayan. “We want to have a Copa Centenario. It’s on the FIFA calendar, and the idea is for it to be played. Whether it will be in the United States? We have to wait for some things to happen, review some things.”
By IVES GALARCEP
Fans of Manchester United and Chelsea are smiling wide, while Manchester City fans are once again wondering why the UEFA Champions League draw is so cruel to them.
Manchester City was drawn into what is being widely regarded as the Group of Death, joining Juventus, Sevilla and Fabian Johnson’s Borussia Moenchengladbach in Group D after Thursday’s Champions League draw.
The draw produced several high-profile match-ups, including Paris St. Germain facing Real Madrid and Bayern Munich squaring off against Arsenal.
In terms of draws, Manchester City and Chelsea wound up in two of the easier draws possible, avoiding powerhouses.
There are plenty of storylines in the group draw as well, including Zlatan Ibrahimovic facing off against his first pro club, Malmo, and Jose Mourinho leading Chelsea against FC Porto, the team with which he won his first Champions League title as manager.
Here is a look at the full draw:
By FRANCO PANIZO
Jose Torres may have only lasted 45 minutes on Wednesday, but that still did not stop him from making an impact.
Torres helped Tigres grab a road result in CONCACAF Champions League play with a first-half assist in a 1-1 draw with Costa Rican side Herediano. Torres fed teammate Antonio Briseno in the 14th minute with a soaring free kick that was whipped in almost flawlessly. Tigres relinquished its early lead through a first-half penalty kick and went down a man four minutes into the second half, but still escaped with a valuable road point that has it even on points with Herediano after two games in Group B.
Torres was not the only American to set up a goal on Wednesday. Gedion Zelalem enjoyed a successful debut for Rangers by assisting on a pair of tallies in a 5-0 rout of third-division side Airdrieonians in the Scottish League Cup. Zelalem, who just joined Rangers this week via a loan, started and went the distance in the match.
Another notable performance came from a fellow U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team player, as Amando Moreno came off the bench at halftime to provide a spark for Club Tijuana in Copa MX action. Moreno did not get on the scoresheet during his 45-minute shift, including on a good look late, but he buzzed around the field while earning mostly positive reviews in Tijuana’s 4-3 win over Necaxa.
Here is how the Americans Abroad peformed on Wednesday:
Photo by Mike DiNovo/USA Today Sports
By RYAN TOLMICH
Shaun Maloney’s brief tenure with the Chicago Fire has come to an end.
The Fire announced Monday that Maloney has departed the club via a transfer to English Championship club Hull City. The transfer fee received by the Fire was not disclosed.
“This was a very difficult decision to make but one that I felt I needed to make for various reasons,” Maloney said. “I’d like to thank Andrew Hauptman and Frank Yallop for the initial hard work they put into bring me to Chicago in January.
“Although my time at the club was brief, I feel very fortunate for the experience to play for the Chicago Fire and would like to thank in particular my teammates for the time I spent with them and hope that in the future the club can become successful on the pitch once again.”
The Scottish international joined the Fire as a Designated Player just this past January in a move from Wigan Athletic. Continue reading